7 Tips for Staying Healthy on Long Flights
Traveling soon? how often do you consider the impact of flying on your health? Follow these 7 tips, from an Airline Pilot, to stay healthy whilst flying.
1. Cabin Air is Dehydrating: Drink Water
Tips for staying hydrated on a plane:
- Take an empty water bottle through security
- Fill this up from a drinking fountain in the Departure Lounge. Bottled water in airports is expensive!
- Keep your bottle of water in the seat back pocket in-front of you (if it fits).
- AVOID alcohol and caffeinated drinks because they are diuretics.
- Diuretics interfere with the body’s water regulating hormones, dehydrating you more.
- Use moisturizer on your skin
2. Stretch Your Legs
Tips for stretching your legs on a plane:
- Book a premium seat which has extra leg room.
- Choose an aisle seat which is easy to get in and out of.
- Get moving every hour (Seat belt sign or cabin service dependent).
- Walk up and down the aisle. If the aisle is blocked just standing will help.
- Don’t get in the way of the crew or other passengers.
3. Eat Light Meals
Tips for eating on a plane:
Avoid a heavy, rich meal.
Try and eat on your body clock. (I will often choose a salad on a night flight)
Take healthy snacks with you on-board; Cut fruit, dried fruit, nuts, cereal bars etc.
4. Jet Lag: Listen to your Body Clock
Tips for jet lag:
- Avoid eating meals between 10pm and 6am on your home time, until fully adjusted (Your body is designed for eating meals during the daytime)
- schedule your sleep for during these two periods, even if all you can do is have a quick nap (Your body is naturally sleepiest at 3am and 3pm)
Tips for hygiene on a plane:
- Avoid touching your face, rubbing your eyes.
- Take a small 100ml bottle of hygenic hand sanitizer or anti-bacterial hand wipes
- Clean your hands before handling food
6. Travel in Comfortable Clothes
Tips to stay comfy:
- Take a set of clothes that is not too fit,i.e. pyjamas, to change into during the flight.
- Pick clothes which are comfortable but use fabrics which allow your skin to breathe.
7. Be careful handling heavy baggage
It’s not often we have to carry heavy baggage around. Now that airlines charge for checked baggage there is a reliance on fitting everything into a carry-on, consequently making it very heavy. We are not used to lifting such heavy items into over head lockers, especially if you are not a regular flyer.
About The Author
Hi, I’m bangpan
I’m an engineer student based in Bangkok with passion in IT and innovation.